Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Lots of Walking

Last night for dinner me and about 9 other girls went to a Mexican restaurant here in Florence. It was very good...but the server was a little rude to us. I dont know if it was the big group or Americans...people talk about us a lot here, but I just take it with a grain of salt. After dinner, we went back to my apartment, I laid down on my bed and fell asleep in my clothes...I guess I was a little tired!!!

Another early morning today with classes. I learned about Sports in the Italian culture so of course they talked about soccer (fùtbol). We watched two movies today in class.

In my sociology class, we met at the Baptizma that has beautiful bronze doors (two out of the three are still the originals) which is next to the Duomo. Very historical places that have to do with John the Baptist and Jesus in general. Then we went in to two churches as well. So we walked all around today with my class. I am glad that I am taking this class because I know I would not do as much site seeing as I will be able to do with the class. There is also a replica statue of David. There were many gypsies around today who were asking for money and what not. We have to be careful about pick-pocketing. One came up to me and asked for money and I said "Via Via!" which means go away. I felt bad but they would not feel bad steeling my walltet...so I got over it pretty fast :)

I do not know what I am doing tonight...there are a few places that have live music we might go to. I will tell you more about that tomorrow when I update.

I am keeping up on my journal. They have such beautiful journals at vendors all around Florence as well. Florence is known for their leather so my first souvenir purchase was a £3 leather bracelet. Then, I got a pashmina (a scarf that you can also wear as a shaw), which is very poplular with women here in Italy.

Well that is it for now...thanks for writing on my blog...it is nice to hear from everyone. Love and miss you all!!!

3 comments:

D.S.M. said...

Pronto-
Happy that you have at least one class out and about. Glad you have some good walking shoes also. I was wondering if the class would take a bus to different places or if you would be walking a lot! Good exercise, huh!!
Ti amo - madre

Anonymous said...

Kara,

I am glad to hear that you are having fun and learning a lot. Hopefully you are getting tons of pictures so you can show me all the neat places you are seeing. Not much is going on here with me. Drew will be 30 on Sunday so we are having a party for him on Saturday. He is going to FINALLY sing karaoke. It should be fun. I will get lots of pictures to show everyone. I also got my hair done today. I got bangs and it really opened up the styling possibilities for me. I love them. Can't wait for you to see them!! Have fun, be careful and Ti Amo!!!!

Dad said...

Kara,

It's great to read about your Italian experience. Are you taking a lot of picures? Have you been in danger of being pinched? Continue to enjoy your stay and we will comment with you later.

Love, Padre(Dad)