Tuesday, June 12, 2007

*HaPpY gIrL*

So last night I had the best meal I have had thus far. It is called Golden View and the restaurant over looks the river and all the bridges. It has a jazz band playing with candle-light décor. Golden view was so nice and it was perfect for my friends 21 birthday dinner. We had ten girls. You get a two course meal with the voucher, so I chose the penne 4 fromaggio con truffla crema (4 cheese) first, and then the steak for the second course. The pasta was some of the best pasta I have ever had...Lindsay would have LOVED it! Then, we went to a nice japanese-feel bar called Moyo for the night. I got home around 1 am.

Today, I had class like always. We learned about the mafia today in sociology and that was actually very interesting. Then in art history, we went to San Maria Novella Cathedral...my favorite cathedral yet. You cant take pictures or video, so I bought a post card to show. Then, we went to the Duomo. Pretty much every city has a Duomo, which means dome. It is a huge cathedral...it was the biggest in the world until 1560. After class, my two friends and I went to the market to look around for about an hour. Tonight I have the Opera like I said before...they say it will take about 2 hours...it starts at 9.

Since I dont have tons to talk about today, I thought I would fill you in on some interesting things I have observed while being in Italy: *no tax *you have to pay for restrooms *a lot of places dont have toilette seats *there is barely any water in the toilettes and then when it flushes it floods the toilette...no spinning *you have to pay to sit down at a café *they have no salad dressing (just oil and balsamic) *no butter *no alfredo *if you tip they take offense to it *mozzerella comes in a ball *no one says excuse me...so we dont say it or smile *no ice *water is served in bottles *have to ask for still water or they give you carbonated *they only have coke, coca lite, sprite, and fanta *cars are TINY- some are even one-seaters *they dont wear shorts *they wear leather boots all-year-round *they take around 3 hours for dinner, so service is normally slow *the smallest bill in euros is £5, and then the coins come in £2, £1, and then .50, .20, .05 cents *no air conditioning *people smoke cigarettes A LOT *it ir hard to find trash cans and benches *streets look like flagstone *no refills *many sidewalks can only fit one person across

Wow...that was a lot, but it is different from home. Well I will say good bye until tomorrow! Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

D.S.M. said...

Pronto,

Who would have thought so many differences in daily life from here to there!! Sounds like you have adapted rather quickly. What fun!! Have a wonderful evening at the Opera. Take care of yourself and continue to enjoy the experience.

Tia amo, madre